KS2 children are taught French with a focus on practical communication. They are taught this in several different ways:
- Listening attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding.
- Exploring the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words.
- Engaging in conversations and ask and answer questions.
- Speaking in sentences using familiar vocabulary.
- Develping accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand.
- Presenting ideas and information orally.
- Reading carefully and showing understanding of words and phrases and simple writing.
- Appreciating stories, songs, poems and rhymes.
- Writing phrases from memory and adapting these to create new sentences.
This term Year three and Year five will be learning French.
Year three will be learning about how to say their name and ask what others are called. We will be looking at numbers to 20 and also recognising some family words in French.
Year five will be learning about the weather. This will include putting together a simple weather forecast and recapping on days of the week, months of the year and numbers up to 31.